Health Canada has issued a warning about unauthorized health products that pose ‘serious risks’
Health Canada has issued a public advisory on buying health products online and wants Canadians to “know the risks”.
On Wednesday, July 20, the government issued the recall as part of Operation Pangea XV, which is “an international effort to disrupt the online sale of counterfeit and other illegal health products around the world.”
The products Health Canada warns against are “drugs, natural health products and medical devices that have not been authorized by Health Canada” because they may apparently pose serious health risks.
They also say that products sold online may seem safe, but if they are not authorized for sale in the country, they could be dangerous.
“For example, they may be expired, mislabeled, subject to recalls or counterfeit versions of licensed products,” the agency explained.
“Unauthorized drugs or natural health products may contain no active ingredients, the wrong ingredients, or dangerous additives such as prescription drugs that are not listed on the label.” They continued, “Unlicensed medical devices may be of poor quality, not working, or dangerous.”
From June 23 to June 30, 2022, Health Canada says it blocked nearly 1,000 packages from entering Canada and seized 338 packages at the border, 99% of which were sexual enhancement products. Diet supplements and cognitive enhancement drugs made up the other 1% of the items seized.
If you’re considering buying health items online, they advise you to stick to products authorized by Health Canada, not to buy from a questionable website, and to speak to a healthcare professional if you have any concerns. .
Additionally, you can keep up to date with recalls and advisories of illegal health products found in Canada through their database.
The cover image of this article was used for illustrative purposes only.